Tuesday, March 29, 2011

What's in a name?

First of all, I would like to pat myself on the back. A blog post in February and now another in March?!?! Just barely made it before the end of March, but it still counts. Go me!

Ok, now onto the blog. So, a little history for those of you that don't know the story. Back in high school, long before I even knew who my future husband might be, I decided if I ever had a daughter I would name her Emma. I had heard the name and just thought it was the perfect little girl name. {Little statistic - Emma broke into the top 20 list at #17 in 1999. So, it wasn't nearly as common. Then, May 16th 2002 episode, Rachel on Friends had to go and have a baby on the show and named her Emma. I am guessing that is what sparked the increase in popularity. But...that was after I originally picked the name.} So, when Cliff and I went for the ultrasound and found out we were having a little girl, I was in shock and immediately thought 'What if she doesn't like the name Emma? Everyone is going to think we chose Emma because of Friends. Maybe we should think of a different name.' But then I realized I still loved the name and that's what we would name our little girl.

Pregnancy #2: another girl?!?! Absolutely no names picked for a girl, just a boy name. What to do? Months and months of debating, list making, research, etc... She has to come home from the hospital with a name! Started feeling the pressure with only 5 weeks left until the due date. Started feeling like I was slacking by not having a name picked out for this growing little girl that we cant wait to meet but is for sure going to come out at some point and will need a name. Well, I am proud to say I think we finally decided. Yay!!! In May, we will be welcoming little Danica Cathryn Howerin into this world!

1 comment:

Sheryl (Grammy) Graham said...

We were really glad when we finally had a name. Hope there wasn't too much pressure with us calling her "what's her name". Our little Danica is going to be another little princess. After all she will have big sister Emma showing her the ropes. Love you all