Danica Cathryn Howerin was born on Monday, May 2, 2011 at 5:59 a.m. She weighed in at 8 pounds 6 ounces and 20 1/2 inches long. It has been a little crazy the past few weeks, so I am just now getting a chance to post Danica's blog entry. It was definitely a different experience this time around. If you are uninterested in all the details, skip the next paragraph.
At my doctor appointment the week before, I had finally started to dilate and was at 2 cm. Later that week, I started feeling slight contractions late Friday night. They subsided and I was able to sleep through the night. Then Saturday at lunch with our moms I started having more contractions. We went home and I rested most of the day just sitting on the couch. As the evening went on, they started getting a little worse and more consistent. We decided to go to the hospital just to be on the safe side (trip #1 around 9:30 p.m.). Emma stayed at my parent's house while we were at the hospital. When they checked me, I was still only 2 cm and not effaced. She said I was probably going through "early labor". They checked with the on-call doctor (again, my doctor was not on call) and she wanted me to walk for an hour and see if there was any progress. If not, I would be going home. So, we walked the maternity wing for an hour (boring and not fun with contractions). Checked again, and I had dilated to 3 cm but still not any effacement progress. So, I was given the option of pain medicine or go home and soak in a hot bath (I chose the bath). We headed to my parent's house around 2:00 a.m. I soaked in a tub of warm water but wasn't able to get very comfortable at this stage in pregnancy. I was able to get some sleep only waking up a few times because of the contractions. Sunday morning we woke up and went to eat breakfast with our parent's. We had just gotten our food and I got up to go to the restroom feeling a little strange with the contractions. I thought my water had broke. So, to be on the safe side back to the hospital we went (trip #2). Got to the hospital, nurse checked and another false alarm. Water was still intact and still only 3 cm and not effaced at all. So, doctor had the same options - walk for an hour and if no progress go home. Another hour of walking the maternity wing this time with worse contractions, still not fun. No progress, so this time I opted for the pain medicine before being sent home. Grabbed a quick bite to eat on the way back to my parent's house since I didn't get to enjoy my breakfast. Napped most of the afternoon. Later that evening, we decided to go to El Charro for dinner before heading back to the house. Emma decided to stay the night with Grammy and Pops since she had school on Monday which gave Cliff and I a chance to sleep in a little. When we got home, I talked with my Grandma for a little bit to give her an update. About 15 minutes or so later, Cliff came over to tell us the news about Osama being killed. At that point, I decided to go soak in the tub again before going to bed. As soon as I got in the water, while the bath was filling up, it happened. My water broke (for real this time)! Since I was so worried about being sent home again, we debated for a few minutes when to go and if my water had actually broke. It didn't take long for the contractions to kick it up a notch and force me quickly to the car (where I waited for Cliff while he turned everything in the house off and got our hospital stuff). Let me just say, that 20 minute car ride to the hospital was painful and the longest 20 minutes ever! We made it to the hospital and the front doors were locked, so we had to drive all the way around to the back to the Emergency Room Entrance. Cliff dropped me off at the door and helped me into a wheel chair. I wheeled my way into the ER while Cliff parked the car. A nurse escorted us up to the maternity wing where they finally put me into a room. Yay, I wasn't being sent home! I had already dilated to 4 cm and was starting to thin. Most exciting news ever because it meant I could have my epidural! Since it was after midnight and was now Monday morning, my doctor would be taking over. I guess Danica wanted to make sure my doctor was able to deliver one of my babies. So, before the epidural, they had to put my iv in, draw my blood, call my doctor, and request the anesthesiologist. They gave me a little something to take the edge off while we waited for everything to be done before the epidural. Cliff let our parents know that we were staying and we were in a room. The contractions were VERY different this time around and I was very excited to see the anesthesiologist! They made Cliff leave the room this time (he was able to stay with me last time). I wish he had been able to stay, but at that point I just wanted my epidural. Once it kicked in, everyone came back into the room and we all ended up crashing. I have no clue what time it was at this point other than very early in the morning. The nurse didn't check me over and over again like they did with Emma, so I was able to rest and let my body and Danica do what needed to be done. When the nurse came in and checked, it was time to push. At that point I realized I could not feel anything from my waist down which was a strange feeling since I had more feeling with Emma. When everyone left, we did two sets of practice pushes and it was time to wait for the doctor. As soon as the doctor came, it was one contraction, 3 pushes and Danica was out at 5:59 a.m. I remember telling Cliff (before the epidural) that we would NOT be doing this again. After the epidural and the easier labor and delivery, we are back to revisiting the idea in a couple years. So, we will see if there ends up being another little Howerin in a few years or if it will be just the four of us.
It is truly amazing how much love you can have instantly in your heart for these little beings that you have been carrying around for 40 weeks. More than love at first sight because the love has been there since that first pregnancy test, first time to hear the little heartbeat and see her on the screen. We are truly blessed!
And now for your viewing pleasure, a few pictures...
1 comment:
It was very exciting seeing my second little granddaughter come into this crazy world of ours. Wouldn't have missed it for anything. However, it was one crazy weekend. Congratulations guys, can't wait to see this little one grow up. Love, ya
Post a Comment