Well, now that Hurricane Ike has left I can get on the computer and update everyone. (This blog has taken me a couple of days to write in between taking care of Emma and resting). So here it is...
Emma was born on Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 10:30 p.m. She weighed in at 8 pounds 8 ounces and 21 inches long. It was a very busy first week for us. My water broke at 7:15 Saturday morning. I took a quick shower and then we headed to the hospital. We checked in at 8:25, but they had to check to make sure my water had actually broke before they would put me in a room. She verified that it had broke, and then moved me to a room. They were very busy that weekend and I got the last room that was available. My doctor wasn't on call that weekend, but Dr. Russell was and he was very nice and a wonderful doctor. I was worried the whole pregnancy that my doctor wouldn't be the one to deliver Emma, but when the time came I could care less who was there. I was only 2 cm when I checked in and they started me on pitocin right away. I wasn't making very much progress at all. It felt like it took forever to get to 3 cm. They told me I could not have the epidural until 4 cm and all I could do was cry. The pain was a little more than I expected. I mean I knew it would be painful, but wow was I surprised. My wonderful nurse called the doctor with my update again (still on 3 cm) and she came back with wonderful news. He told her they could go ahead and give me the epidural! HOORAY!! I was a little nervous about the epidural, but I new it would be worth it. After the epidural kicked in, it was getting kinda late. The doctor had told me that it might be the wee hours of the morning, but I told him she had to be here by midnight. I wanted her born on the 6th, because I thought it would be neat since Cliff's birthday is 6/9 and then her birthday would be 9/6. I know it sounds funny, but Emma must have thought that sounded like a good idea. The doctor and nurses were all skeptical, but I knew she would be there before midnight. When they checked me again I was finally at 4 cm, so all our family decided to go to dinner. A couple hours later the nurse came and said I was at 9 cm. I was totally shocked! The nurse sounded a little surprised too, since she double checked to make sure. Family showed up from dinner right after that, so it was good timing. They came in and started setting everything up for the "big event". Everyone left the room except Cliff and my mom, and we started pushing. It didn't seem like it took very long to push, which surprised me. But then again I was not in a state of mind to keep track of the time, it could have been alot longer than what I thought it was taking. Emma arrived at 10:30 p.m. on the dot. See Emma and holding her for the first time was the most amazing feeling I have ever felt. Truly a miracle and indescribable. We are truly blessed! All I kept thinking was, "See I told you she would be here before midnight." It was a very long day, but surprisingly it seemed to go by really quick. Well, I hope this updates everyone with how things went. So here are some pictures for all of you to enjoy. We will try to post pictures as often as we can.
By the way, to update everyone after the hurricane...
We are still without power at our house, so we are still staying at my parents house. Our street has power up until the last section of the street where we are. So hopefully it will not be too much longer. We are ready to be back at home, since we were only home 3 nights before we had to leave in preparation for IKE. Our home made it through the hurricane without any major damage. We lost quite a few trees, but luckly none landed on our house. A branch fell off the tree at the end of our house where our bathroom is and rolled across the roof, but didn't make any holes or cause any real damage. God has blessed us, because we were unable to get insurance before the hurricane hit the gulf. We are now working on getting coverage before we have to go through something like that again. Hopefully everyone else faired well through the hurricane.
No comments:
Post a Comment